The Non-Admitted Insurance Multi-State Association, Inc. (NIMA) was established in
2011 and is governed by the Non-Admitted Insurance Multi-State Agreement. NIMA, Inc. members include Florida, Louisiana,
South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming and Puerto Rico. Associate members include Tennessee and Wisconsin.
The Agreement provides a mechanism to report, collect, allocate and distribute surplus lines tax revenues consistent with the
Non-Admitted and Reinsurance Reform Act (NRRA). The NRRA is part of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform legislation passed in 2010
that allows only the home state of the insured to require premium tax payments for non-admitted insurance in the absence of an
agreement among states.
NIMA, Inc. allows participating states to continue to collect surplus lines premium taxes according to state laws consistent
with the Agreement.
NEW – NIMA, Inc. Associate Membership
NIMA, Inc. created the Associate Membership to increase awareness of NIMA benefits. As an Associate Member, interested states
may experience NIMA services without incurring any associated costs or risks.
An Associate Membership is a unique opportunity to share information with other NIMA states and learn more about the financial
advantages of joining NIMA as an official, tax-sharing member.
During a specified trial period, the Associate Member will have an ideal opportunity to evaluate the merits of full NIMA membership
and determine whether joining NIMA is a sound financial decision for the state.
Learn more about the Associate Membership. Read more. >>
State Specific Information:
- Florida Office of Insurance Regulation website: www.floir.com
- Enabling Legislation – SB 1816
- Non-Admitted Insurance Multi-State Agreement - June 16, 2011
- Florida Office of Insurance Regulation’s Report on Florida’s Cooperative Reciprocal Agreement Joined Pursuant to the Non-Admitted and Reinsurance
Reform Act (the Dodd-Frank Act) - December 2011
NIMA, Inc. Agreements:
Surplus Lines Clearinghouse:
- Website: www.slclearinghouse.com
2013 ( 1Q,
Annual: 2014 - 2015,
2013 - 2014,
2012 - 2013
Dodd-Frank Bill (NRRA – Section 511) – H.R. 4173
National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) – NIMA/Surplus Lines Resource website
- October 23, 2014 - NIMA, Inc. Elects Officers
- May 8, 2014 - NIMA, Inc. Welcomes New Associate Members - Tennessee and Wisconsin
- November 5, 2013 - NIMA, Inc. Elects Officers
- September 27, 2013 - NIMA, Inc. Responds to Home State Advocates
with Viable Statistical Analysis
- July 9, 2013 - NIMA, Inc. Exceeds $500 Million in Reported
Premium for One Year of Operations
- October 31, 2012 - NIMA, Inc. Elects New Officers
- May 31, 2012 - NIMA, Inc. Formally Amends Agreement
- May 24, 2012 - NIMA, Inc. Passes “Kentucky Proposal” for Premium Allocation
- April 17, 2012 - NIMA, Inc. Enters Into Agreement with Florida Surplus Lines Service Office (FSLSO) as Clearinghouse Provider
- September 1, 2011 - NIMA, Inc. Members Elect Governing Committee
- July 22, 2011 - Alaska Joins NIMA, Inc.
- July 21, 2011 - NIMA, Inc. Adds Five New Members
- July 15, 2011 - South Dakota Officially Becomes Sixth State to Join NIMA, Inc.
- July 13, 2011 - Connecticut and Louisiana are the Two Newest States to Join NIMA, Inc.
- June 21, 2011 - NAIC Commends States for Leading Agreement to Streamline Surplus Lines
- June 16, 2011 - Joint Mississippi, Florida, Hawaii Agreement Saves State Millions in Premium Tax Revenue
- June 16, 2011 - Office Announces Multi-State Agreement to Implement Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Streamline Surplus Lines Reporting
NIMA, Inc. Officers:
Acting Chair: Todd Kiser, Utah Insurance Commissioner
Vice Chair: Vacant
Secretary: Kevin McCarty, Florida Insurance Commissioner