Insurance Commissioner Altmaier’s Message to Floridians:
Prepare Now for the 2017 Hurricane Season
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Florida Insurance Commissioner David Altmaier has an important message for Floridians ahead of the hurricane season beginning on June 1.
“Florida’s unique risk to tropical weather, especially during the hurricane season, means all Floridians need a disaster plan,” said Altmaier. “The time to evaluate your insurance coverage, fortify your home and prepare for how to protect yourself and your family is now.”
Altmaier is also advising Floridians to take advantage of numerous hurricane preparedness resources available to them on the Office of Insurance Regulation’s (Office) website and offers the following additional tips:
· Review your insurance policy with your insurance agent or insurance company to make sure the coverage is adequate to your individual needs. The “Declarations Page” of your policy will summarize the coverage you have purchased.
· Understand the differences between your insurance policy’s coverages and deductibles.
· Strengthen your home’s defenses against a storm through simple mitigation techniques, such as replacing worn weather stripping under doors and removing tree limbs that may fall on your home or become flying projectiles.
· Inventory your valuables and possessions using a home inventory checklist, which is available as a form you can download and print. If you prefer to use a smartphone, there is a link to a free app created by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, which allows you to take pictures and add descriptions of your belongings.
· Know the phone number and contact information for your insurance agent and insurance company. Make sure to have easy access to it if you must evacuate your home.
· Most importantly, have a plan for what you will do if a storm system is expected to impact where you live. Do not wait to evacuate if it becomes necessary.