Workers' Compensation Insurance
Workers' compensation insurance is coverage purchased by the employer/business that provides benefits for job-related employee injuries, with a few exceptions. Florida law requires most employers to purchase workers' compensation coverage.
Under a workers' compensation policy, employees are compensated for occupationally incurred injuries, regardless of fault. This coverage makes employers immune from some injury lawsuits by employees.
The Office of Insurance Regulation (OIR) provides important oversight for those writing workers’ compensation coverage in Florida. OIR regulates the rates, forms and financial solvency for workers’ compensation insurers as part of its
mission to maintain a robust and competitive market and maintain protections for the insurance-buying public.
In Florida, the Division of Workers' Compensation within the Department of Financial Services (DFS) is the primary regulator for ensuring employees receive the proper benefits under this coverage, which includes benefits for medical expenses,
disability, or death.
Workers' Compensation Market
There are more than 250 insurers offering workers’ compensation insurance in the state of Florida. In Florida, the largest workers’ compensation insurer is a private market insurer rather than a state-created residual market entity.
Annually, OIR produces a report on the workers’ compensation market. Click here to view the Workers’ Compensation Annual Report.
Public Rate Hearings
- OIR hosts annual public hearings with the National Council on Compensation Insurance (NCCI) to review proposed rates for the upcoming year and notices for these hearings can be found here.
DFS Division of Workers’ Compensation
- DFS Division of Workers’ Compensation provides information on employer compliance and employee claims along with other important information related to the administration of workers’ compensation coverage here.
DFS Consumer Services
- DFS Division of Consumer Services has insurance specialists available to answer your questions or to assist you in filing a complaint. You can find additional information here.
Apply to Write Workers’ Compensation Coverage in Florida
- Insurers may apply here to write worker’s compensation coverage in Florida.
Submit a Form or Rate Filing
- Insurers may submit form and rate filings through OIR’s Insurance Regulation Filing System (IRFS) here.
- Statutes related to the regulation of worker’s compensation insurance can be found here.
- OIR Rules related to the regulation of workers’ compensation insurance coverage can be found here.
- OIR Informational Memorandums providing guidance to workers’ compensation insurers can be found here.
- Changes to laws affecting workers’ compensation insurance can be found here.
Public Rate Hearings
- OIR hosts annual public hearings with the National Council on Compensation Insurance to review proposed rates for the upcoming year and notices for these hearings can be found here.
Educational Resources and Materials
- DFS Division of Workers’ Compensation provides education and resources for carriers, including important information regarding assessment rates, claims handling, annual maximum compensation
rates, electronic data exchange (EDI), and other regulated activities here.
Please note that some of the resources were not developed by the OIR and some links will direct you to websites not maintained by the OIR.